It’s like always be my habit. Saw something, read something, watched something and then I have desire to make that kind dishes or drinks. I saw (but I didn’t taste!) broccoli au gratin dish in hotel breakfast last month. It’s creamy and I like it. Like mac and cheese, This is simple western dish. Moreover, my husband challenged me to make bechamel (white sauce). I thought bechamel will came handy after all. Just make significant quantity and I can use it further in another creamy western dishes. But unfortunately, my prediction was incorrect. I couldn’t make it leftover due to limited amount. But it’s okay. It’s simple and I can make it anytime.
- 1 block unsalted butter
- 2.5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 500 ml full cream milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 450 gr broccoli
- Grated sharp Cheddar
- bread crumbs
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Add flour. Cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes or until bubbling and mixture turns a light, golden sandy color. Be careful don’t let it make brownish color.
- Heat the milk in a separate pan until just about to boil. Add the hot milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until very smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring constantly then remove the heat. Do not stop stirring or it will form thin layer in surface. Add mushroom and seasoned with salt and nutmeg. Set aside until ready to use.
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (230 degrees Celsius). Butter the baking dish.
- Seasoned the broccoli with salt. Steam it in steamer. Or if you don’t have steamer, you can do it in magic jar using steam rack (kaching, like I was about doing xD). Cover and steam until crisp-tender about 5 minutes (may varied). Do not over-steam. Put the broccoli in prepared dish. sprinkle with cheese and pour on the sauce. If you use small baking dish and your broccoli will make deep thick, then separate become two layer with each layer covered with cheese and sauce.
- Melt butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring until lightly browned about 2 minutes. Cover the gratin with the bread crumbs. Bake until lightly browned and bubbly about 15 minutes (may varied). Serve immediately.